Police are hunting down callous thieves who have stolen 17 generators in cyclone-stricken Rockhampton, but one man has helped get power to those who need it most.
Technology entrepreneur Bevan Slattery lived in Rockhampton for 25 years, during which time he spent five years working for the local council.
He says his staff quickly got to work sourcing generators after receiving a request for help from Mayor Margaret Strelow on Sunday.
In about five hours, the team was able to collect 50 generators.
Most have been sent into the disaster zone to help people who require home-based treatment for medical conditions, such as dialysis, to continue their therapy.
Mr Slattery has also helped set up a charging booth in the town that can power 256 mobile phones at once.
But for all his invaluable help, the former BRW Young Rich List member insists he’s simply done what anyone in his position would.
“Helping is the best way to not feel helpless,” he told AAP.
Mr Slattery’s efforts counter reports thieves have taken 17 generators in the area.
Most were used to power dangerous traffic intersections.
Police said those who had nicked the vital generators had committed a “low act” and could expect to feel the full force of the law.
Some generators – including those chained to posts – had been plundered from intersections where the possibility of serious crashes remains high.
Acting Detective Inspector Luke Peachey warned police had suspects “in their sights”.
For his part, Mr Slattery says the spate of thefts could be the result of a bigger problem concern in the area.
“Youth unemployment is an issue in Rockhampton (and) there are a lot of people that are doing it hard,” he said.
“So I’m sad, but I’m not surprised.”